Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Journal 4: The Flock

Furguson, H. (2010). Join the flock. Learning and Leading with Technology, 37(8), 12-14. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/Libraries/Leading_and_Learning_Docs/June_July_2010_Join_the_Flock.sflb.ashx

McClintok, S. (2010). Enhance your twitter experience. Learning and Leading with Technology, 37(8), 14-17. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/Libraries/Leading_and_Learning_Docs/June_July_2010_Join_the_Flock.sflb.ashx

NETS-T 5

TWITTER!
These articles go in depth on building your PLN (professional learning network). They explain how to get resources to come to you and how to expose yourself. It is a way to learn and grow with complete strangers. Building a community via the Internet. There is different explanations of Twitter in these articles. They explain how to make one and how to make it useful, with ways that will benefit you along with your community. I learned so many different ways to build my PLN, even just by tagging or putting time in here and there. It is amazing to me how much technology is growing and how fast we can all obtain resources from each other. Before Ed422 I had a Twitter for fun, not realizing how much it can help me professionally. I was able to make a separate account where I will be able to build my PLN. 
The articles even teach you Twitter terms! Very helpful!

Questions:

1) Will Twitter enhance my profession and how will it help me expand my PLN?
I feel when used right Twitter is an amazing tool to be updates and constant resources. It is an easy way to expand my personal learning network. Learning how to use hash-tags and finding people with common interest. With new information being constantly updated there is an abundant amount of resources and stories. The chats available are helpful also, such as #ntchat, a great place to meet others in the profession. 

2) Can Twitter be used in the classroom?
Yes! By embracing Twitter you can expose students to many different resources and communities that they wont get anywhere else. You can expose students to a constant flow to updated stories and information. Making different groups also you can share what you learn. Having students follow different topics can inspire them to look more deeply, just by having the information handed to them. Expose them to the online connection to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment